Attorney D. Douglas GrubbsAttorney D. Douglas Grubbs has been helping victims of defective pharmaceutical products since early 2004. He assisted with a nationwide Fen-Phen docket comprising more than 7,000 injured men and women. From 2005 to 2008, Doug attended South Texas College of Law where he made the Dean’s Honor List. Throughout law school, he also clerked at a nationally recognized mass tort law firm in Houston. Today he is of counsel to Matthews & Associates.
After earning his jurisprudence doctorate in 2008, Doug accepted an associate position at a prominent East Texas law firm. There, he focused his practice on the firm’s national pharmaceutical and medical device dockets. During that time, Doug also advocated for those who had been injured as a result of negligent drivers, medical malpractice, and unsafe work premises. He returned to Houston in 2012 to continue representing those wrongfully injured by negligent pharmaceutical and medical device companies.
Doug’s diverse experience in products liability litigation allows him to quickly determine the merits of a potentially successful claim. He has also been involved in numerous facets of mass tort litigation, including depositions, motion practice, written discovery, witness and trial preparation, as well as settlement negotiations.
Recognition of Legal Excellence
In honor of his excellence in the practice of law, Doug has been recognized by his peers as a Texas Super Lawyers Rising Star (a Thomson Reuters service) every year from 2013 – 2019. This recognition is awarded to just 2.5% of emerging attorneys in Texas 40 years old or younger, or those who have been practicing law for 10 years or less.
In 2013, Doug also joined a select group of lawyers recognized for their legal ability and professional ethical standards by receiving an AV® Preeminent Peer Review rating (a Martindale-Hubbell service). An AV® certification mark is a testament to the fact that Doug’s peers ranked him at the highest level of professional excellence.
In 2016, Doug was invited to join The National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 under 40. Membership is extended solely to a select few of the most qualified attorneys from each state who demonstrate superior qualifications of leadership, reputation, influence, stature, and public profile. Invitees must exemplify superior qualifications, trial results, and leadership as a young lawyer under the age of 40.
“Nearly all of my clients have never needed or hired an attorney prior to their injury,” says Doug. “I take pleasure in talking to new clients to address their concerns and counsel them regarding their legal options.”
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Chlorpyrifos Exposure
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- South Texas College of Law, Houston, Texas
- Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
- B.A. History
Honors and Awards
- AV® Preeminent Peer-Review Rating, Martindale-Hubble, 2013 to present
- Client Champion, Martindale-Hubbell, 2020
- Rising Star, Texas Super Lawyers, 2019
- Rising Star, Texas Super Lawyers, 2018
- Rising Star, Texas Super Lawyers, 2017
- Rising Star, Texas Super Lawyers, 2016
- Rising Star, Texas Super Lawyers, 2015
- Rising Star, Texas Super Lawyers, 2014
- Rising Star, Texas Super Lawyers, 2013
- Top 40 Under 40, The National Trial Lawyers, 2020
- Top 40 Under 40, The National Trial Lawyers, 2019
- Top 40 Under 40, The National Trial Lawyers, 2018
- Top 40 Under 40, The National Trial Lawyers, 2017
- Top 40 Under 40, The National Trial Lawyers, 2016
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Association for Justice
- Houston Trial Lawyers Association – Board of Directors
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association