Big Pharma: Earth’s Most Corrupt Corporations
This is a hard fact on which your life may depend: the pharmaceutical industry has the worst record of any industry for illegal violations of the law. Drug companies make billions of dollars selling antidepressants and many other drugs that offer no demonstrable value but plenty of provable harm. Here is a list of just a few bad Big Pharma actors and recent fines they’ve paid for their transgressions:
- GlaxoSmithKline (GSK): nearly $8 billion in 31 settlements
- Pfizer: nearly $4 billion in 31 settlements
- Johnson & Johnson: more than $2.8 billion in 19 settlements
- Merck: nearly $2 billion in 30 settlements
- Abbott: more than $1.7 billion in 16 settlements
- Eli Lilly: more than $1.4 billion in 15 settlements
- Teva: nearly $1.5 billion in 13 settlements
- Schering-Plough: more than $1.3 billion in 6 settlements
- Novartis: $1.25 billion in 20 settlements
- Astra Zeneca: more than $1 billion in 20 settlements
An Insider Exclusive Special reveals how:
- The Pharmaceutical Industry – generating $650 plus billion dollar a year – has been the most profitable business in the U.S. by treating “disease” as an industry. It accounts for nearly 30 percent of the Gross Domestic product.
- Much of Big Pharma’s ‘success’ lies in the connections between the companies and the ‘symptoms management’ health care industry. Encouraging symptoms and treating them pays; preventing diseases or symptoms does not pay.
- The medical establishment works closely with multinational drug companies focused first on profits. Healthy people don’t add to profits.
- Lots of drugs MUST be sold. In order to achieve sales, anything goes: lies, fraud, kickbacks, ghostwritten medical “literature,” studies made with predetermined outcomes, you name it. Doctors function primarily as the principal salespeople of the drug companies, which is the way the entire scam was all set up more than 100 years ago, beginning with Rockefeller medicine’s Flexner Report published in 1910. This “Report” was used to effectively establish a monopoly on “healthcare” that continues today. Doctors who continue to promote Rockefeller medicine today are rewarded with research grants, gifts, and lavish perks.
- International bribery, corruption, and fraud run rampant in the testing of drugs. Criminal negligence exists in the unsafe manufacture of drugs, and not just in China.
- Many people don’t realize how drug companies are accused today of endangering public health through wide scale fraudulent marketing schemes. Drug company scams include covertly attempting to persuade consumers that they are ill. Drug companies also bribe doctors, and misrepresent safety test results on their products.
Today the drug industry continues to get away with deceptive “Off Label Marketing.” Sadly, the American Medical Association (which was convicted of conspiracy to destroy its competition) and the FDA are complicit in allowing doctors to continue to prescribe drugs for “off label” purposes. Because of this broken system, drug companies continue to get away with deceptive drug marketing. After they pocket billions of dollars in profits for dangerous or worthless drugs, they then often pay only a small percentage of those billions in fines and settlements.
Make no mistake: there exists today a Medical-Pharmaceutical Complex that does not work for the long-term betterment of peoples’ health. This Complex works instead for the short- and long-term goal of drug company profits. Hence the billion-dollar fines, but it is hardly enough to fix the broken system rigged against the health and betterment of the individual.
The pharmaceutical industry has strayed from its original mission of discovering and manufacturing useful drugs – if that were ever its goal. It has become, instead, a vast marketing monster with unprecedented control over our fortunes, which are inextricably tied up with the enormous amounts of insurance money we all are now required to pay regardless of how little we use the broken system.
Drug Companies control the Healthcare System
Drug companies now exercise nearly limitless influence over medical research, education, and the behavior of individual doctors. Those who don’t do what Big Pharma dictates that they do – prescribe dubious or dangerous drugs for marginal or even imaginary maladies encouraged by slick advertising campaigns – are ostracized from the medical profession and even driven out altogether.
Only in America can a drug company executive or lobbyist charged with a laundry list of morally repugnant behaviors – medical fraud, criminal salesmanship, gaming the insurance industries, lying to federal officials, manipulating the data of drugs that have killed people – get away with a fine, then receive a financial bonus while enjoying a surge in his company’s stock price after a settlement. China fines and even executes individuals for such transgressions, but in America it’s all about financial rewards, as long as the criminal fines don’t exceed the profits.
“Alternative” Medicine Canard
It is a function of the dysfunction of our medical system that the AMA and the Medical-Pharmaceutical Complex has succeeded in calling any approach to health not sanctioned by the state “alternative” medicine. That term is meant to function pejoratively to dismiss anything not sanctioned by the Complex as anti-scientific, but it is also a term which the medical monopoly has used to keep us all from exercising our God-given right to choose whatever therapy we would like.
It should be clear to anyone capable of thought that whatever one chooses is an “alternative.” Chemotherapy, for just one example, is only one “alternative,” and not a very good one at that, failing 97% of those who consent to it. But chemo is not called an “alternative” where insurance companies are concerned. Insurance companies work hand in fist with the Complex to pay only for those drugs or therapies which Big Pharma and its D.C. lackeys dictate will be paid for. This situation constitutes a medical insurance monopoly, but no mainstream publication will call it that, because the five outlets which own and operate our mainstream “news” are owned by the same multi-national conglomerates which own the drug companies and run the Medical-Pharmaceutical Complex.
The good news is that more and more people are waking up to the scam, to the medical monopoly controlled by the pharmaceutical industry. Someday, we may even be able to retake our own rights to medical choice, have our insurance company pay for treatments that we choose, according to our own lights, instead of only those “choices” dictated to us by Big Pharma and the medical monopoly that still controls our broken “healthcare” system.